October 24, 2013

pumpkin chocolate chip cookies



In the past few weeks, with fall colors in full swing, I noticed the supermarkets were flooded with pumpkin treats. Pumpkin scones, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin granola, pumpkin croissants... I even spotted pumpkin dog treats!

Fall is my favorite season, probably because I was born in October. It could also be because it is such a short season, it makes me appreciate the transient, fleeting beauty it brings. The falling leaves remind us that nothing lasts forever. Maybe such imperfect, impermanent and incomplete beauty deeply resonates with my appreciation for wabi-sabi in Japanese culture.

Sadly, fall is coming to an end (at least in the area where I live). So I thought I celebrate this beautiful season by making (and eating, of course!) something pumpkin. I looked for ideas online and set my eyes on a vegan cookie recipe that was flour-less and sugar-free. For some reason, the recipe did not work for me and I ended up adding a whole different set of ingredients, which resulted in a totally new recipe. I'm not much of a canned pumpkin person, but these cookies definitely turned me onto pureed pumpkin that is readily available in grocery stores. These cookies are moist, flavorful and hit the spot. They are just right.

So here it is, my version of pumpkin cookies that commemorate the fall harvest.



Ingredients
makes about 20 small cookies
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup almond meal/flour
2 tsp pumpkin spice blend (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ginger powder)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup almond butter (unsalted)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup grain-sweetened chocolate chips

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with a whisk.


Place the wet ingredients and salt in another bowl and whisk until everything is well incorporated. 

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. When it is about 80% combined, stir in the chocolate chips. (If you are finicky about the appearance of your cookies, set aside a small handful of chocolate chips so you can garnish them before baking.)

Take a small ice cream scooper or a tablespoon to portion out the dough onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven of 350°F for 12 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes. Serve right out of the oven or after they have cooled down (if you can wait, that is).



No comments:

Post a Comment