February 8, 2013

sweet potato salad



I went to visit my family in Houston in mid-January. The weather was absolutely gorgeoussunny and 70+°F every single day. I felt like I had come far far away from home, knowing that the Berkshires was in the single digits.

I did not know until this visit that Texas is one of the top growers of pecans in the US. I spotted quite a few vendors at farmer's markets selling local pecans. I thought it would make a nice souvenier for myself so I purchased a bag of fresh, partially shelled pecans.



So here there are. They traveled with me all the way back to the cold Massachusetts. I carefully removed the shells to leave the pecans whole. Each smooth oval shell contained a two-lobed seed. So adorable.

Here is a delightful salad that I made with Texas pecans. The combination of sweet, tart and salty flavors go perfectly well with the mild astringency and just the right amount of crunch provided by the toasted pecans.

Ingredients
makes 2 2/3 cups
1 medium sized sweet potato, diced (2 cups)
half of small onion, diced (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp ume vinegar

1/3 cup toasted pecans, chopped
3 TBS kalamata olives, sliced
3 TBS vegan mayo (I used Earth Balance mindful mayo, which is soy free)
1 TBS dried cranberries (fruit juice sweetened)
parsley
freshly ground black pepper  

Directions

1. Place the diced sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring it to a boil, lower the flame and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until tender. Drain and let cool.

2. Put the diced red onion in a bowl and add ume vinegar. This brightens up the color and lightly pickles the red onion. If you don't like raw onions, you can simply omit it or lightly sauté the onion with ume vinegar.

3. Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the bowl and mix the rest of the ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. Hi... I have been a fan of yours since attending class @ the Kushi Institute. I copied your recipe for Thanksgiving Wellington and made it for Christmas dinner along with Wild Rice Croquettes... My closest friend is in need of a diet overhaul and once she tasted the dishes... she got a little excited about the "possibility" of changing her diet. She is "old school Italian" and has her list of "I won't give up... (fill in the blanks). This really impacted her, and we are making a couple of them and she is freezing to have on hand. Just wanted you to know it was a HIT! Thanks so much! I am also awaiting the arrival of your cookbook! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete