December 29, 2012

chocolate truffles


When cold weather hits, I think about this candy in Japan that is available only in the winter. Called "Melty Kiss," it is a box of individually wrapped chocolate truffles that literally melt in your mouth. I think this sugar-free vegan version comes pretty close to recreating the texture without any cream.



Before we get to the recipe, I just wanted to say a few words as this blog post will be the last one this year. I thank you all for reading this blog. If you found my recipes and posts useful in any way, I could not be happier. The year 2012 has been a phenomenal year for me: my nephew was born, I published my first cookbook, I got married and I got a fabulous job—all the while being able to pursue my dream of cooking in peace. To express my big THANK YOU for all your support, I am offering a giveaway of my cookbook THE PEACEFUL DESSERT BOOK. See the details at the bottom of this post.

So here's to you my friends, my version of Melty Kiss. Have a happy new year! See you in 2013!

Ingredients
makes about 2 dozen truffles

white solids of chilled coconut milk (about 1/3 cup) (The can must be chilled in the fridge at least for a day. Use the rest in a soup or curry.)
pinch of sea salt
2/3 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 3 hours and drained
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 Medjool dates, pitted and soaked in 1/3 cup of water for 3 hours or until soft (reserve the soaking water)
2 TBS coconut oil
2 pinches of vanilla bean powder (or 2 tsp of vanilla extract)

cocoa powder and/or shredded coconut for rolling the truffles

Directions
  1. Place the coconut milk solids and a pinch of salt in a small pot and heat on medium flame until it comes to a gentle boil. Turn off the flame and add the chopped unsweetened chocolate. Stir well to melt the chocolate.
  2. Put the rest of the ingredients along with the melted chocolate in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a Pyrex dish and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
  3. Take a tablespoon or a 1/2 oz ice cream scoop and portion out the truffles. Reshape each in your hand and roll it in cocoa powder, shredded coconut or chopped nuts. Chill until ready to serve.


To enter the giveaway for THE PEACEFUL DESSERT BOOK, you need to do two things:



I will ship the book anywhere in the world, so friends living outside of the US can join. Feel free to share this with your friends and family.

Get your entries in by 9 PM Eastern time on Saturday, January 5th. The winner will be picked randomly and announced in the following week. Good luck!



11 comments:

  1. I like you on FB and congratulations on your success this year!
    My favorite dessert is anything chocolate, I'm not picky. If you pressed me to choose, it would be chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and creamy chocolate icing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days - raw vegan coconut macaroons, of any variety and flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like sweet and salty together in a desert. As well as textural and temperature differences... So nuts or pretzels with chocolate or caramel or similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love caramel ice-cream with a piece of good brownie. But the Vegan Chocolate Sacher Torte that I made for a birthday and for dessert at christmas is also divine!!!
    Thanks for sharing! I learned a lot this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yukiko, thank you very much for sharing your talent with all of us. Anything your make is delicious and I am haunted in Chicago by the memories of some of your deserts i tasted at KI. I love everything with nuts, especially cashew cream. But as of now, i have to pick as my favorite desert a pecan pie. I make it much less sweet than most cookbooks call for and dont use maple syrup, but use plenty of nuts. Happy New Year and may the new year be even better than the old one for you and your family. Sasha =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I love rich chocolate-y nutty creamy desserts a lot....I must say that the most favourite is a simple comforting freshly baked apple pie! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Yukiko,
    I am pleased I have come across your blog. I enjoy preparing your great recipes and sharing them with my friends.
    I am a big fan of almonds. Therefore my favourite dessert is almond jam dots which are also a perfect snack when I'm travelling.
    Wishing you a very happy New Year.
    Love, Jana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Already "liked" your FB Page! Lately, my favorite dessert has been simply sliced apples dipped in raw honey. But if I had to pick a favorite baked good, I'd have to say Carrot Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cake! I feel so guilty about eating it because it has eggs in it, but I haven't found any vegan/eggless recipes yet that have given the perfect cake texture - moist, not crumbly, and light! I would love to finally be able to make an eggless cake that is delicious and soft and light!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tiramisu and organic blueberries - not necessarily at the same time.

    Happiness,
    Katherine Policy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yukiko, your healthy and beautiful desserts makes my mouth water. My favorites are cashew cream vanilla cake and vegan sacher torte. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete