May 20, 2012

korean mung bean pancakes


I must admit that I don't like mung beans. Well, I like them only when they are sprouted. A mung bean dish is one of the very few things that doesn't appeal to me. I guess I've had traumatic experiences of eating strangely prepared mung beans....

I recently discovered that mung beans are used in Korean vegetable pancakes. I found some mung beans in my pantry for whatever reason (I must have bought them to sprout them) so I thought I give it a try. Wow, it was delicious! I had totally underestimated the power of mung beans. Crispy on the outside and slightly chewy in the inside, these pancakes were bursting with flavor. I might have to get more mung beans to make more of these....

Ingredients
makes three 6" pancakes
1/2 cup mung beans, soaked overnight (or at least 5 hours) and drained
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 TBS ground sesame seeds
1 tsp shoyu
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed using a garlic press
dashes of cayenne pepper (optional)

1 cup shredded vegetables*
1/2 tsp sea salt

*The beauty of this pancake is that you can use pretty much whatever you have on hand. I used leek (green part), carrot, broccoli stem and some fresh fennel bulb.

Sauce
2 TBS shoyu (nama shoyu is great if you have some)
1 TBS rice vinegar
ground sesame seeds

oil (virgin sesame or safflower oil) for frying
scallions, thinly sliced for garnish

Directions
  1. Add salt to the bowl of shredded vegetables and mix. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Place drained mung beans and water in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
  3. Add all the ingredients except for the shredded vegetables and salt.
  4. Squeeze out the water from the salted vegetables and add them to the batter. Mix.
  5. Mix the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
  6. Heat up a frying pan (a cast-iron skillet works very nicely) with some oil. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan, spreading it thinly with the bottom of a ladle. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for another 5 minutes.
  7. Garnish with scallions and serve warm with sauce.



(updated February 10, 2013)

    5 comments:

    1. Yummy!! Yukiko- these look so tasty!! I am going to have to make them asap!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you for your comment Shauna! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. They are quite yummy if I say so myself!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I made this recipe today for my family. I doubled the quantity, but should have tripled or more (for teenagers). The pancakes have a rich flavor, even without the sauce. I used the Vitamix to puree the beans, adding a bit more water. I even added the veggies and lightly blended them, too, to shorten the preparation time and included the veggie water (carrot, broccoli, yellow summer squash, bell pepper, onion). The garlic makes them taste great. I also added a little ginger to the sauce, and I imagine these would be great with a kuzu sauce, too. Thank-you for an easy, family-pleasing recipe that helps me use up my pounds of mung beans.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for trying it out Laura! Your version sounds wonderful and so does the idea of serving it with a kuzu sauce. Hmm... I should make a batch for myself soon.

      ReplyDelete
    5. If I wanted to make this Gluten Free what would you recommend replacing the white flour with?

      ReplyDelete