This savory seitan is drenched in herb-infused marinade and baked in the oven. Rosemary, sage and thyme are used here to make a Thanksgiving roast. Feel free to experiment with different herbs.
Ingredients (makes enough for one 8" X 8" Pyrex dish)
2 cups vital wheat gluten
2 TBS unbleached white flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 TBS dried rosemary
1 TBS dried sage
1 TBS dried thyme
1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup shoyu
2 TBS vegan Worcestershire sauce (I make my own but if you don't have any, you can add more shoyu or omit it)
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed with a garlic press
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3 TBS shoyu
2 TBS vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients.
- Mix vital wheat gluten, white flour, nutritional yeast and the herbs in one bowl.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in another bowl.
- Add (3) to (2) and mix with your hands. The dough will become pretty glutenous.
- Press the dough into a Pyrex dish. Pour half of the marinade on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Pour the rest of the marinade on top and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until the most of the marinade is gone.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Take the seitan roast out of the dish and slice.
How about using the seitan to prepare a wellington, a great main dish for Thanksgiving? See here.