Because the texture of this flan is so pleasantly light, this dessert is great even after a bit of a heavy meal. Agar flakes do not dissolve well in starchy liquids so they are cooked separately in water and added to the warm soy milk. Soaking the flakes for 10 minutes prior to cooking helps to dissolve them completely.
Ingredients (makes four 8-oz servings)
2 cups soy milk
1/3 cup rice syrup
1/3 cup water
1 TBS + 1 tsp agar flakes
Pinch of salt
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 cup apple juice
1 TBS agar flakes
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (thawed)
1 TBS rice syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place water and agar flakes in a small sauce pan and let the agar flakes soak for 10 minutes. Cook the mixture until the flakes dissolve completely.
- In another pan, place the soy milk, rice syrup and a pinch of salt. Warm up under medium flame.
- Add (1) to (2) and mix well. Add vanilla extract.
- Strain the mixture and pour into dessert bowls. Chill in refrigerator to set.
- To make the blueberry topping, soak agar flakes in apple juice for 10 minutes, add a pinch of salt and cook until the flakes dissolve completely.
- Add the blueberries and rice syrup. After the mixture comes to a boil, remove from flame and add vanilla extract.
- After (4) is set, pour the blueberry topping over it and chill. Decorate with cashew cream and/or mint leaves as your heart desires.
Subtle texture that melts in your mouth....