April 7, 2011

carrot beet slaw


When it comes to beets, you either love them or hate them. Although I must admit I am not a beet lover myself, I like adding a tiny bit to a mock tomato sauce made with carrots and red onions and also using it to make my own food coloring. I do like this fresh and colorful slaw marinated with a mustard vinaigrette. The sweet taste of beets go perfectly well with the sour savory dressing. The carrots and celery add a nice flavor as well. This is one of the few occasions I use the shredding disk of the food processor. It makes the dish a snap to prepare and it is less messy.



Ingredients

1 beet (1 cup shredded)
2 carrots (1 cup shredded)
1 stalk of celery (sliced)
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp brown rice vinegar
1/2 tsp ume vinegar
1 tsp Dijion mustard
Pinches of garlic powder (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Shred the beet and carrots in a food processor using the disk. Cut the celery into thin slices. Place everything in a big bowl. 
  2. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl. 
  3. Pour the vinaigrette onto the vegetables and mix well. Adjust the seasonings and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment