March 8, 2011

Cooking in Peace

So what could a non-professional "cook" like me do in the culinary world? After the business folded, I was in deep thoughts for days and days. I knew for sure that I didn't want to go back to cooking in a large kitchen anymore, making compromises and sacrificing my own well-being. Back then I was working over 70 hours a week, not even wanting to taste anything that I was making (well, except for desserts). It almost seemed like because I put so much energy in the food that my body was resisting to put it back in.

I kept wondering, "Why is it so hard to cook in peace? Is it impossible to feel the way I felt when I was a kid cooking for my family now that I'm cooking to make a living?" I would always go back to my dream of "cooking in peace," thinking about that warm feeling of sharing the food prepared with so much love and  attention with people that I cared for.

Then it occurred to me, if I'm just a home cook, maybe I should offer what only a home cook can offerhome-style meals prepared with love and care delivered right to people's homes and offices. Fortunately, I had the customers that I still kept in touch with, those that longed for the food we offered.  Many of whom I contacted were excited about my little new venture. That's how the Berkshire Vegan began.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment